Summer time in Greece, means sun and high temperatures and most of the people visit the seaside and the islands of the country. Though, for me, summer time means a visit to one of my favourite -amongst others- areas of mainland Greece, Tzoumerka (or Athamanika).
Like every time I visit the area, I use as a base the Pramanta Mountain Refuge which is located few kilometres far from the village of Pramanta and under the Strogoula peak. One of the nicest things of that location, is that you can use your tent surrounded by the beautiful forest, with stunning view of Strogoula and by having all the comforts of the mountain refuge.
About Pramanta Mountain Refuge
The Pramanta Mountain Refuge restarted its operation on 28 October 2006 under new administration! Babis and Pola, together with their two wonderful and kind kids, provided us excellent service and great company during our stay there.
There are two 8-bed rooms and one 10-bed room, totalling 26 beds, a fully functional kitchen, dining tables, a living room and a fireplace. It operates round the year, every day, should no emergencies occur (we’re humans!). The whole “Isioma” plateau is there for games, camping, football, excursions even a little theatre! (mountain theatre).
See more hiking/mountaineering routes around this area:
- Winter Mountaineering Climb in Strogoula – Tzoumerka (Athamanika)
- Hiking in Tzoumerka (Athamanika) – Katarraktis Waterfalls – Katarraktis Refuge – Faneromeni
- Winter Climb in Strogoula via Agrofylakas Couloir
- Hiking in Tzoumerka – Skala Stamati – Katafidi
- Hiking in Kefalovriso Waterfalls
- Syrrako – Kallarites
- Hiking in Tzoumerka (Athamanika) Theodoriana – Marks Stream – Rema Marks – (family friendly)
- Souda Twin Waterfalls – Theodoriana – Hiking in Tzoumerka (family friendly)
A couple of years ago (2020), Babis and Pola, updated the refuge with even more services and even a small swimming pool. Furthermore, there is plenty of space round the refuge for some wild comping and the location is really ideal.
Pramanta Mountain Refuge – Waterfall
The route starts at an altitude of 1.300 m (4.265 ft), in the “Isioma” plateau on the slopes of Tzoumerka Mountain. About 100 meters away from the refuge there is a clear sign that indicates the trail to the magnificent waterfall. The trail is very easy to identify and to follow and there is not any single difficulty. In fact, is an ideal hike for beginners but also for families with kids.
Kefalovriso Waterfall – Melissourgoi Mountain Refuge
About Melissourgoi Mountain Refuge
Melissourgoi mountain refuge is equipped with five five-bed rooms with heating, each of which has its own independent bathroom. In a separate space there is the living room with the stone-built fireplace, which is a reference point for visitors especially in the winter months. Moreover, there is plenty of space in the fir forest surrounding the shelter, ideally designed for camping and outdoor showers in the summer months.
Melissourgoi Mountain Refuge – Pramanta Mountain Refuge
Details of the Hike:
- Location: Athamanika (Tzoumerka) Mountains
- Starting Point: Pramanta Mountain Refuge
- Ending Point: Pramanta Mountain Refuge (via Kefalovriso Waterfall & Melissourgoi)
- Trail Signs: Well signed path
- Minimum Elevation: 957 m
- Maximum Elevation: 1.399 m.
- Total Distance: 6.5 km
- Difficulty: Easy
- When to Hike: All year round
- Water Features: Two